Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Artur : Oh Roly Poly Goalie!

Artur Boruc had revealed that he once "dreamed" of signing for Rangers and owes much of his success to a meeting with Andy Goram.

In an interview with Polish sports magazine Kurwa Mac! Boruc described a meeting with the former Rangers No1 when Scotland played a friendly in Bydgoszcz.

Boruc revealed: “I was just establishing myself with Legia Warsaw but in Poland the only goalkeeper anybody talked about was Jerzy Dudek. He had just announced he was moving from Feyenoord to Liverpool and all the countrywas talking about him.

“I felt there was no point in me being there because I was third choice. I was mainly looking forward to see Scotland play because I had heard so much about Andy Goram being an amazing goalkeeper but they had some guy from Wimbledon or somewhere at the time.

“Before the game I was practising and not really caring when Jan Tomaszewski shouted over that a “dupek” wanted to talk to me. I didn’t even recognise him but when Jan introduced him I couldn’t even speak.”

“Even with Tomaszewski translating I was so nervous but he told me that Goram liked the way I moved. He said to never give up and to forget Dudek – one day I would be better than him because he could see it in my fantastic eyes and invited me to have a drink and talk about football at the Scotland hotel but I didn’t go.”

“He even offered to show me a few things and I was amazed that such a big man could move like a cat.”

“He told me to always to believe in me and not care about anyone else because they only hate a great goalkeeper. For months all I could think about was that I wanted to be at a big club like him. I think about this sometimes when people shout at me in Scotland. It’s funny because they only called him “The Goalie” and they call me something similar in Glasgow.”

Regardless of the inevitable pro-Rangers media spin- and there is a time and a place Artur - it looks like Boruc can join the likes of Kenny Dalglish and Danny McGrain as “ones that got away”.

And just maybe we have to thank the Roly Poly Goalie.
  • Many thanks to Darek Kraska for heads up and translation
Seed Newsvine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

today is of course april fools day

TheCeltsAreHere said...

Well, obviously. Artur would never call Goram a "dupek".