Friday, May 23, 2008

To Gordon Strachan, players and staff - sincere thanks

I posted this to Celtic Quick News but then, in my confusion, thought I might put it on my own blog. It's that kid of night.

Well, I have always supported our manager but I don't mind saying again: thank-you Gordon Strachan. And to all our players and coaching staff and everyone else who made it possible: thank-you all.

Neither do I mind confessing that I thought our chance had gone after Motherwell won at Celtic Park - even to the point of analysing where it went wrong. I say that because I think we should all fess up when we get it wrong rather than acting like hacks who pretend it never happened.

But, I'll say this - as time went on, I wanted nothing more than to have to admit that I was wrong. The thought of my fellow Celtic fans saying, "I told you so" because we had defied the odds was almost more than I could have wished for.

I'm proud to have been wrong because this Celtic team has me filled to bursting with pride. For personal reasons that I can't quite explain here tonight, I had thought that this would be the ultimate in disheartening seasons for me.

Instead, tonight has been one of my greatest ever as a Celtic supporter. Before tonight I had felt that, for me, this would be the best feeling since the centenary double if we achieved it. When I watched the match tonight, I couldn't help feeling that this was what it used to be like - when, for me, football was better, more innocent but when the ideals were more pure.

I wasn't even in Dundee but the chants and the songs took me back to a very special time when I was first realising how indivisible were my identity as a boy or man and as a Celtic supporter.

I don't know if there was something different because of the death of Tommy Burns - and, of course Phil O'Donnell - or if I just perceived things that way because I have been transported back to those times. I do know it felt very special to me - even more so than I could have imagined.

Even at the end, Barry Robson had a green, white and yellow scarf that reminded me so much of those days.

So again, Gordon Strachan, coaches and players too many to name, I thank you. You'll never know what this particular win means to me - just one fan at one moment in time. I hope and expect, though, that you will all see that this is no ordinary club.

For each of us, in our millions, we have our own reasons for feeling that only Celtic can do something this special - and every new victory over the coming years will have a new, unique significance to countless people.

This is the greatest football club in the world - and you are serving it proudly.





Seed Newsvine

No comments: